Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Encounters in the Keep, illustrated

Here's the first room of the infamous gauntlets of traps. For this encounter I made the rookie mistake of putting five trapped rooms in a row, as an exercise in how 4th ed traps work. It was fun for the first room, painful by the third room, and by the last room pretty much everybody including me just wanted it to end. Traps are fun, but they are best used as one element of a room encounter. I think Emily (the rogue) had a good time, but everyone else was bored and frustrated. Lesson learned.
The remains of the smithy held the restless souls of prisoners burned alive. I couldn't find a monster that fitted the feel I wanted so I took the stat block for ghosts and substituted fire resistance and fire damage for their regular necrotic. It worked pretty well. The insubstantial nature of the monsters made them pretty challenging, even for such a large group (6 players).
Cutaway interior of Guard Captain's tower. I'm kindof fond of this one, reminds me of my grade 9 art class where they taught us perspective. It made a handy reference for the players once a multi-story fight broke out.

1 comment:

red fraggle said...

this last picture looks way more fun than i rememebr it! I think i was super tired that night, or willow was eating dice and i couldn't pay attention. Awesome web site hon!